Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Cyberpunk 2077 sold over 13 million copies in 2020; CDPR refunded only 30k copies

Cyberpunk 2077

CD Projekt Red revealed its financial results for the year 2020 on Thursday, with the highly controversial Cyberpunk 2077 boasting sales numbers of 13.7 million copies by the end of 2020.

Interestingly enough, even though Sony removed Cyberpunk 2077 from the PS Store, 28% of the copies sold were on PS4, with only 17% being sold on the Xbox One. 56% of the sales were on PC and Stadia; the overall breakdown saw 73% of the game’s sales via digital and 27% for physical copies.

It will be interesting to see how the Cyberpunk 2077 sales numbers for 2020, which were marked by the game’s glitch-filled, bug-laden unfinished launch state, CDPR’s subsequent apology for the game’s unfulfilling launch performance and refund offers on the PS4 and Xbox One compare to 2021, when all is said and done. CDPR has promised to bring the game to the qualitative state that everyone expects from the developer through a number of hotfixes and fixes, the latest of which (Patch 1.2) fixed the game’s police and driving systems as well as added a substantial amount of new dialogue and interaction with fan-favorite auxiliary character Panam Palmer.

Leaked Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer

CD Projekt Red

Notwithstanding, of the 13.7 million copies sold, only 30,000 copies were refunded, according to a CDPR investor relations representative in a post-earnings call with gameindustry.biz. The representative confirms that the 30,000 figure is the number of copies which were refunded by CDPR to customers who e-mailed them directly, and not copies refunded by retailers such as Microsoft, Best Buy and GameStop.

RELATED:  Gran Turismo 7 for the PSVR 2 will be available as a free upgrade at launch

Does the fact that Cyberpunk 2077 sold over 13 million copies in 2020 surprise you, given that the game was released on December 10th and despite all the controversy surrounding the launch? Do you think the sales numbers in 2021 will see a more significant drop, despite CDPR diligently issuing hotfixes and additional content? Let us know in the comments.

Written By

Ninja Gaiden was my rite of passage at an early age. After finally beating that game (and narrowly dodging carpal tunnel) I decided to write about my gaming exploits. These days I enjoy roguelikes and anything Pokemon but I'll always dust off Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country and StarFox 64 from time to time to bask in their glory.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Trending Games

News

Despite rumors and reports to the contrary, the next Call of Duty game (tentatively titled Call of Duty Black Ops 6) will launch on...

Features

Ubisoft announced they’ll be excluding SBMM (skill-based matchmaking) from casual playlists in their upcoming first-person arena-shooter XDefiant. For those unfamiliar with competitive PvP (player...

News

Paramount+’s new Knuckles series may have just dropped on April 26th, but it’s already setting global records. Not only is Knuckles on Paramount+ the...

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Want the latest gaming news, guides, musings and cosplay delivered straight to your mailbox? Sign up for the Retbit newsletter and let us keep you connected.

More from Retbit

News

Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher developer CD Projekt Red has cleared the air on rumors that they might be acquired in the near future,...

News

Just when 343 Industries seemed to be getting back in the fans’ good graces with the release of Halo Infinite Season 5, which saw...

News

Cyberpunk 2077 has its fair share of celebrity involvement, with Keanu Reeves portraying major character Johnny Silverhand, Idris Elba playing tortured ex-special agent Solomon...

News

Although headlines from the past few days have suggested that the Witcher 3 next gen update for the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X,...